Tuesday, January 25, 2011

One of my students said something wonderful today. She wrote a song called "True Colors". The song was about a blind girl at her school that she had befriended.

"There's this girl at my school. She's blind. We think she's so nice. Anyway. We were describing colors to her."

Me: "How did you do that??"

Her: "Well... we were talking about pink, and how it is fuzzy and happy. And then we were describing purple. And how purple was hazy, and mysterious. And then green, how it was earthy. But how the earth wasn't as green anymore cuz we polluted it so much."

Me: "That is really great you were talking to her about that..."

Her: "And then we described black. And I said black was awesome and wonderful."

Me: "Why? Black is dark. And scary sometimes."

Her: "I knew that black was all she saw. And I didn't want to say that because I didn't want her to think that all she saw was darkness. I wanted her to know black was freaking awesome."

This student is eleven. (soon to be twelve in march)

I am starting to realize forty-six students is too much. I don't have time to dwell and feel the way I used to. I don't see things as they used to be when I only had 25 - 30. It's not that I am working too much, it is that I feel like all of my kids deserve every ounce of energy and enthusiasm that I have. So maybe I am working too much. Not WORKING too much, but TEACHING too much. I am afraid I can't handle it all. Do you ever get to that point in your life? Where you're so happy you could burst? And you're afraid of becoming inadequate? At the SAME TIME?

When I worked at the studio, group lessons were easier. I threw songwriters showcases on Saturdays with ease, group lesson no problem, everything was easier. Probably because I didn't drive to everyone's houses. I don't know. Maybe because i only had about sixteen students then. I never thought it would get to this place.

What is this place?








No comments:

Post a Comment